Sunday, March 28, 2010

Home away from Home

 
 






















I'd like to introduce you to the chauffer, butler and chef for Cycle The West 2010. Meet Allan Smith... my dad.

When I told him of my dream to ride across America, he volunteered to support me with his 5th wheel trailer, and at the time, this meant up to six weeks. Still, he is always up for one of my crazy adventures.... He's come along for hiking at Yosemite; rock climbing, bouldering and hiking at Smith Rocks; bouldering at Avenue of the Boulders; living history at Homestake, Montana (think Cascades near Bend) his childhood stomping grounds; the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit and much more. And the best part of it all is that my wife and son can come along for the whole journey.

My Dad is in every important mental snapshot of my life. As a single father, he did the best he could to raise my sister and I without ever complaining. As I think back on it, I gave him 1000's of reasons to pull his hair out, but he taught me the love of Christ and service to your fellow man. I remember him buying something for full retail, using it briefly and giving it to someone less fortunate for free. If you know me, that drives me bonkers, but to Dad, it brings him great joy to give. He continues living to serve others...it blesses others AND him.

The plan is for the five cyclists to roll out in the morning and an hour or two later, connect for a morning break for food, water, bathroom or clothing needs. Then he will drive ahead to set up that nights campsite at either an RV park, state park or a scenic spot on the route. If the weather doesn't cooperate, we'll have a rolling shelter to wait out the elements and he would be within 50 miles at any given time should a problem arise.

Now my dad and I see some things differnetly, but I am very fortunate to have a father who is devoted to me, my family and this goal. Without him, I wouldn't be doing this.
Posted by Picasa